[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Why do people like weather in MMORPGs?

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Tue Jan 4 22:19:06 CET 2005

Damion Schubert wrote:
> Wayne Witzke wrote:

>> It seems to me that there is a relatively simple solution to
>> this... Have the day/night cycle actually mimic the real
>> world. In the real world, half the world is light while the other
>> half is dark (well, sort of).  Why not do this for the virtual
>> world? Then, allow the player to choose their initial starting
>> location based on when they expect to be able to play (and their
>> preference for day/night gameplay).

> I just wanted to say that I think this is a really cool idea.

I do too. Our next terrain will be on a half scale sperical earth
and this is one of the things I am most looking forward too about
it. It does however present a bit of a problem for us as a PvP and
sim game.  Most of our players absolutely hate night. It makes
fighting terribly difficult and as a resyult we have modified our
time cycles to make the day:

  50% daytime
  25% dusk and dawn
  25% night

Damien, do you find an aversion to night by the PvPers in yourgame?
Do others?

Dana V. Baldwin
a.k.a. "Gophur"
Producer