[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Why do people like weather in MMORPGs?

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Jan 6 21:06:35 CET 2005

Dana V. Baldwin writes:
> Damion Schubert wrote:
>> Wayne Witzke wrote:

>>> It seems to me that there is a relatively simple solution to
>>> this... Have the day/night cycle actually mimic the real
>>> world. In the real world, half the world is light while the
>>> other half is dark (well, sort of).  Why not do this for the
>>> virtual world? Then, allow the player to choose their initial
>>> starting location based on when they expect to be able to play
>>> (and their preference for day/night gameplay).

>> I just wanted to say that I think this is a really cool idea.

> I do too. Our next terrain will be on a half scale sperical earth
> and this is one of the things I am most looking forward too about
> it. It does however present a bit of a problem for us as a PvP and
> sim game.  Most of our players absolutely hate night. It makes
> fighting terribly difficult and as a resyult we have modified our
> time cycles to make the day:

>   50% daytime
>   25% dusk and dawn
>   25% night

> Damien, do you find an aversion to night by the PvPers in
> yourgame?  Do others?

I'm curious.  If most of your players absolutely hate night, why do
you retain?  Is it because there are some players who like it?
Would your game suffer if you completely took out darkness and just
had a period of dusk, immediately followed by dawn?  Or if you just
had varying heights of the sun, where winter has a lower sun and
summer has a higher sun?  That is, no longer even have dusk and
dawn.

JB