[MUD-Dev] Metric vs. English System of Measurement in Games

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Jan 13 02:53:41 CET 2005

On Jan 10, 2005, at 3:15 PM, Michael Hartman wrote:
> Johan A wrote:
>> -- ceo <ceo at grexengine.com> wrote:
>>> Michael Hartman wrote:

>>> For instance, if we only ever measured weight in kilograms it
>>> would be a PITA to do any cooking, counting in 0.001's of a kg.

>> You know we do have kg, hg, g, ml for example ;)

> That's my point. If you didn't have those, it would be a very
> difficult system of measurement.

Actually that's not your point. The metric system is built on the
concept of a base unit (g, m, l, ...) combined with orthogonal
factors (k-, h-, m-, M-, ...); without the factors it wouldn't be
the metric system.

In fact it's the imperial system exhibiting this very flaw you are
alluding to: since imperial doesn't have factors for its units,
people were forced to come up with multiple units to measure the
same quality at different magnitudes (oz, lb; inch, foot, yard,
mile; fl. oz., cup, pint, quart, gallon; etc). That within a quality
the units relate to each with odd factors is just adding insult to
injury.

Cheers,
   Lars

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com