[MUD-Dev] weapon choices (was re: DESIGN: Why do people likeweather in MMORPGs?)

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Jan 17 18:07:20 CET 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 7:01 AM, Tom Hunter wrote:

> I snipped Travis Casey's points about weapons but I wanted to come
> down on his side because he pointed out one of my biggest
> complaints about game design in MUDs the near universal lack of
> realism regarding weapons, armor and combat.

Indeed.  Console fighting games get the speed more or less right,
though they have their own set of inaccuracies (see
<http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=626> for some humorous
commentary on this).  There are other aspects: numbers win.  In an
actual battle (as opposed to a one on one duel), force concentration
wins.  The enemy gangs up on you whenever possible, because the goal
isn't a fair fight, the goal is to kill/capture/rape/etc.

> They produced a fun game but a combat system that reflects a lack
> of experience, research and athletic ability.  Today we can and
> should do better.

I agree.  I'd enjoy RPG combat a lot more if it were more along the
lines of DOA3 or Soul Calibur: fast, dependent on skill ...

Amanda Walker