[MUD-Dev] weapon choices (was re: DESIGN: Why do people likeweather in MMORPGs?)

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 19:04:42 CET 2005

Tom Hunter wrote:

> I snipped Travis Casey's points about weapons but I wanted to come
> down on his side because he pointed out one of my biggest
> complaints about game design in MUDs the near universal lack of
> realism regarding weapons, armor and combat.

I'd just like to second this opinion. This is one of my pet peeves
in CRPGs as well. Since we both have some martial arts training, I
wonder if it's limited to those who have some experience with "real"
combat (actually, I've never seen REAL combat as no one was trying
to kill me and either the weapons were fake or we were pulling our
blows) or if it's a more general complaint among players.

To what extent do players without any martial arts training realize
that CPRG combat and weapons are wrong?

Why have modern military combat games increased their combat realism
while "fantasy" and "martial arts" fighting games have not? There
have been a few games that have demonstrated a higher degree of
realism in damage (Bushido Blade) or animations (Knights of the
Temple), but it has not "caught on." Are there simply more
ex-military game designers than ex-SCA game designers? Or do most
players prefer their fantasy to be fantastic?