[MUD-Dev] realistic combat vs enjoyable combat

Jon Monteleone monte at woosh.co.nz
Tue Jan 25 23:22:29 CET 2005

Rayzam wrote:
> "Michael Sellers" <mike at onlinealchemy.com> wrote:

>> Part of the challenge though is that players have different
>> preferences and change over time: sometimes you just want to go
>> on auto-pilot, other times you might want to direct every nuance
>> of the combat.  I think the latter part of this is why
>> magic-users are so much more preferred by 'expert' players -- and
>> why the fighter/tank role pales eventually; the spell-caster has
>> an additive role where more and more options (spells) are opened
>> to them, and the player can pursue different strategies in combat
>> beyond just click-to-hit.

> Very good point. It is easy to have different spell sets for
> different situations, thus giving the spellcaster many more
> options, but still limiting them in any one combat. Such as as set
> of cold spells [damage, debuffs, stuns, etc] versus at set of fire
> spells. And maybe mixing and matching between the two for a third
> set.

> It's unfortunate that the warrior role is more dependent on items
> such as weapons, and thus less additive.

Well, the answer to warrior boredom is to give them features to use
tactics as well.  Things like bash, pummel, dodge, evade, taming,
etc.  Make these skills require the use of mana or stamina.  Make
the skills varied enough that the warrior as to assess what skill
will work best in the given situation.

For an even more varied approach, use a tech-tree.  You have to
start off as a warrior, and then as you progress you are given the
option to change from just a warrior into a paladin, samurai,
ranger, etc.  Each new class has its own strengths and weaknesses.
If implemented correctly, then I do not think warrior-types will get
bored anytime soon.

I realize these different methods have been implemented on many MUDs
already, but how many MUDs have really developed their class
development around avoiding the 'boredom factor'?  Not many.  I
think as an admin our greatest challenge is to realize that no
matter what we implement, players will get bored at some point.  The
trick to having a great MUD is that the boredom timeframe is shorter
than on other MUDs.

Cheers -Mulac