[MUD-Dev] weapon choices

Tom Hunter tchunter3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 12:55:49 CET 2005

Matthew Fuller wrote:

> /Realistically/, if you're starting a fight against an
> unsuspecting opponent with a sword or an axe or a mace, they're
> not going to be able to fight by the time they realize what you're
> starting.  Even mid-fight, it just doesn't take very many good
> whacks with a sword to make somebody uninterested in trading
> blows.

> But, that's not too much fun 8-}

If you hitting an unprepared or unaware opponent then yes "first
strike" is worth a lot though I would call it a blind side or
suprise blow.  First strike between two guys in armor with shields
may not be worth much at all.

The not too much fun part is very context dependent.  In DAOC it
took a lot of time to get to the fight and days to level your
character.  When people got one shotted by invisible archers they
got really upset because it wrecked the value of thier time
investment.  In WWII Online people get one shotted all the time but
since infantry are easily brought into the battle and interchangable
no one really cares.