[MUD-Dev] realistic combat vs enjoyable combat

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Mon Jan 24 18:33:11 CET 2005

"Michael Sellers" <mike at onlinealchemy.com> wrote:

> Part of the challenge though is that players have different
> preferences and change over time: sometimes you just want to go on
> auto-pilot, other times you might want to direct every nuance of
> the combat.  I think the latter part of this is why magic-users
> are so much more preferred by 'expert' players -- and why the
> fighter/tank role pales eventually; the spell-caster has an
> additive role where more and more options (spells) are opened to
> them, and the player can pursue different strategies in combat
> beyond just click-to-hit.

Very good point. It is easy to have different spell sets for
different situations, thus giving the spellcaster many more options,
but still limiting them in any one combat. Such as as set of cold
spells [damage, debuffs, stuns, etc] versus at set of fire
spells. And maybe mixing and matching between the two for a third
set.

It's unfortunate that the warrior role is more dependent on items
such as weapons, and thus less additive.

    rayzam