[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 20, Issue 15

Dread Quixadhal quixadhal at shadowlord.org
Wed Jan 26 02:31:36 CET 2005

Michael Hartman <michael at thresholdrpg.com> wrote:
> Sporky McBeard wrote:

>>> Wrong. Horribly, short sightedly, wrong.

>>> There are actually a lot of people who read the stuff and derive
>>> a lot of enjoyment from that part of the quests.

>> There are people who like to pierce uncomfortable body parts. No
>> matter what you do, you'll find some people who like something
>> and some who don't. As a designer, your job is not to cater to
>> all of them individually, but instead simultaneously. Since
>> stories only appeal to a rather small portion of the audience,
>> and contribute nothing tangible to the gameplay, there are better
>> ways to spend your time and energy.

> Do you honestly think only a small portion of the audience is
> interested in the story?

Just to jump in here... as a player, I love story arcs.  It is one
of the strongest points in most MMOG's, and even though the
graphical ones tend to be a bit weaker (or perhaps easier to lose
track of in the action) than the text based games I work on, a good
story makes up for quite a few hours of grind.

In any case, I just felt compelled to toss this link out, since
there do seem to be some people who only care about the
numbers... http://www.progressquest.com/

Enjoy!