[MUD-Dev] Attractive Grouping (Was: Focus vs. Scope)

Hulbert, Leland LHulbert at czn.com
Thu Mar 17 14:53:40 CET 2005

Ola wrote:

> But, wouldn't it be even better to just forget about XP and go for
> a skill based system? For instance, you are going to raid some
> castle guarded by orcs with clubs. So, first you need to get up
> your parry-orcs-with-clubs skill by locating NPCs with clubs, and
> fighting lonely orcs with clubs adds most to your skill.

But what skill do you use to see the sunrise from Mt. Doom?

I'm really hoping to build an XP system that benefits the people who
= just like to explore as much as the psychopaths that run around
killing = everything ;).

That said, basing a skill system on this type of experience wouldn't
be = a bad idea.  I would suggest that each experience provide a
bonus to the = last X skills used.  So if you climbed to the top of
Mt. Doom, then you = become a better climber.  If you used a spell
and flew there, then your = spell casting (or maybe just your Flying
spell) goes up.  If you climb = to the top of Mt. Doom and spend the
night crafting while you wait for = sunrise, then your craft skill
will go up.

This has positive and negative side affects.  On the positive side,
any = skill you use a lot will be getting better faster.  On the
down side, = you spend all day crafting, gaining no skill because
you've done it all = before, but an orc comes by and you whack him
with a stick, and suddenly = you are a better crafter.  I think teh
positives would out-weigh the = negatives.

The real cumbersome part is being able to recognise "new"
experiences.  = Either you have to create a global list of
experiences, or some way to = interpret everything the character
does to check if any particular = action is new.  I think the global
list with a flag bit on each = character for each experience would
work best, but who gets to make up = the global list?  And what do
you do when they leave out something?

Lee