[MUD-Dev] Attractive Grouping (Was: Focus vs. Scope)

Adam Spivey ginandtonic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:58:47 CET 2005

Hulbert, Leland wrote:
> Ola wrote:

>> But, wouldn't it be even better to just forget about XP and go
>> for a skill based system? For instance, you are going to raid
>> some castle guarded by orcs with clubs. So, first you need to get
>> up your parry-orcs-with-clubs skill by locating NPCs with clubs,
>> and fighting lonely orcs with clubs adds most to your skill.

> But what skill do you use to see the sunrise from Mt. Doom?

> I'm really hoping to build an XP system that benefits the people
> who just like to explore as much as the psychopaths that run
> around killing =verything ;).

I've been working on an alternative. Most games seem to favor pure
experience or skill based systems (a few combine the two), but
nothing satisfied all the ranom scenarios I've though of.

For lack of better terms, I'm calling it a three tier system.  First
tier is your character's vital statistics ala DnD. Unlike DnD, these
should rarely if ever change.  Second Tier would be your skill in a
very specific skill set. Fighting with broadswords would be one
skill, crafting baskets would be another. These would change
according to how often you attempt that specific skill.  The third
tier is your education level or training in a general set of
skills. Going to weaving school would bump up quite a few of your
crafting abilities. Knight school would bump up most of your combat
related abilities.

The equation to test different aspects would probably be a bit muddy
(pardon the pun), but I favor it simply because it makes many things
useful that are often ignored in RPGs (education). Instead of
killing 50 rats and leveling up to increase your fighting ability, a
character would join the militia guard for a bit to participate in
their training exercises. Backstories could tie directly in to the
stats. IE a barbarian who is a veteran of many battles but has
little training, a general from the best school who doesn't have any
combat experience. The hometown hero who is the best _____ there but
has never competed professionally or been trained. (apologies for
the stream of consciousness)