[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Mar 17 23:34:26 CET 2005

Dana Baldwin wrote:

> I'd be careful of accepting that as gospel outside of Vogel's
> projects.  Admittedly our game is much smaller but we haven't seen
> a shift of that magnitude. My first question would be "is this
> specific to a particular game?"

It might be specific to a specific genre or game. Your datapoint is
also useful... PvP, like WWII online may not be affected.

The meaning also depends how the statsitics were generated. For
example: The average lifespan of someone in the middle ages was
40-ish, but if that person lived past early childhood you could add
on another 10-20 years... If the "average number of months" was
affected by people that never bothered to pay for the full product,
then the numbers will change significantly.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au