[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Thu Mar 17 17:23:44 CET 2005

Mike Rozak wrote:

> I was just reading Grimwell online,

>  http://www.grimwell.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=248

> and noticed an interesting factoid from the GDC... "Vogel reported
> significant changes in gamers' habits. Previously, game retention
> was on average 10 months. This is now down to six months, Average
> time per week played was 20 hours; this is now down to 12."

> This implies the following: 10 months x 20 hours = 200 hours of
> content. 6 months x 12 hours = 72 hours of content. Thus, the
> number of hours of content a virtual world should support is 1/3
> of what it used to be.

I'd be careful of accepting that as gospel outside of Vogel's
projects. Admittedly our game is much smaller but we haven't seen a
shift of that magnitude. My first question would be "is this
specific to a particular game?"

Also 6x12x4.5 would be more appropriate though for what I'm
uncertain. MMOs aren't particularly good at filling all played hours
with content, player generated included.

--
Dana V. Baldwin
"Gophur"