[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Mar 17 23:43:00 CET 2005

Travis Nixon wrote:

> 10 months x 20 hours = ~800 hours of content, not 200.

> 6 months x 12 hours = ~288 hours of content, which is still way
> more than any game out there I've ever played actually has.

Doh! Wrong units. (Matt Cruikshank also caught my math error.)

Plus, I'd probably design for twice as much content as the "average"
player. That means 1600 and 576 hours, respectively. That's a lot of
rats to kill... despite my mathematical mistake, the numbers (if
they're valid) imply signficantly less content.

> Of course, I don't consider killing the same things over and over
> for 3 hours is actually equal to 3 hours worth of content.  It
> could be argued either way, although if you disagree with me
> you're quite clearly wrong.

I won't argue with you there. Nor do I consider killing different
variants of the same monsters quality content. Or the same quest
reworded to be content.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au