[MUD-Dev] Encounter Crafting (was Wish Revisited)

Zach Collins (Siege) siegemail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 19:35:34 CET 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:26:54 -0800 (PST), Allan Hill
<aiki_student at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- "Zach Collins (Siege)" <siegemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:03:49 +0100 (CET), olag at ifi.uio.no
>> <olag at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>>> Let users design their own camps of monsters by configuring
>>> templates and how they cooperate. These configurations could be
>>> rather simple, the main point is to get something fresh and
>>> fun. It could be as simple as setting up simple heuristics:

>> As I note above, creature-making ties directly into
>> worldcrafting. You could have the monster-maker and the
>> place-maker; perhaps their skills are closely associated, perhaps
>> they're different paths in the crafting tree. However, every
>> dungeon needs its minions.

> If I understand you, Siege, your place-maker's skills allow
> him/her to use resources to create custom locations.  Ditto for
> the creature-maker.  How do you combine the custom content created
> by these characters into a coherent world?

There are several ways I envision these skills tying into a game
world:

  - Set up entrances or terminals (like AO) where dungeons may be
  placed or enabled; all custom zones become instances. Usage of the
  zone might even impart a small XP or cash award (like a 1GP toll
  to tour the caves).

  - Home-building. Perhaps the place-maker can be an architect,
  whose work defines the interior of a standard building type; at
  low levels one may create a cottage or shed, while at high levels
  one may create a walled fortress or village complete with
  subsidiary buildings and possibly a dungeon or sewer
  beneath. Creation and maintenance takes resources, but these
  constructs can also be purchased from the owner via trading of
  deeds or simply destroyed (they'll degrade over time and
  eventually collapse if not maintained, or they can be actively
  demolished for a minor fee).

  - Place-makers who wish to populate their creations may choose
  from a (initially small) standardized set of creature
  types/spawns, or trade with a creature-maker to recieve a few
  specialized creature spawn objects. These spawns may be unlimited
  use or exist for unlimited time, but only within a created
  instance or building, and only last as long as the place (they
  will tend to degrade along with it, meaning newbies might invade a
  crumbling tower and fight off some standard rats and skeletons,
  then purchase the neglected tower through a hostile financial
  takeover at the local land court, and finally rebuild their new
  base and change the spawns to standard town guards).

  - Creature-makers who simply wish to release their creations into
  the world may forge a (limited use) spawn item and tell the game
  world to place it; the spawn is then removed from the player and
  semi-randomly placed in an appropriate combat zone. The object
  would enter a queue, and drop into the zone when previously
  inserted spawns are either used up or time out (after several
  hours or days). The zone's total creature population then
  determines whether the spawn releases anything. Creature-makers
  might even recieve some XP for an appropriate-level player killing
  their world-spawned creature.

--
Zach Collins (Siege)