[MUD-Dev] Attractive Grouping (Was: Focus vs. Scope)

Kiztent Hatepriest kiztent at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 13:22:33 CET 2005

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:45:45 -0800, Tasci <pubsynx7hye at pacbell.net> wrote:

> You should check out some of the "skill based" MUD code, and even
> some of the pen-and-paper RPG systems.  (GURPS is skill based,
> isn't it?)

GURPS is point based, Shadowrun (for example) is skill based.

> One interesting notion, which I haven't seen much, is to have each
> skill cascade onto other related skills, like a person with 40
> sword would have +10 to all bladed weapons, +4 to all melee
> skills, and so on up the chain.  One must be careful though,
> because using my example getting a 40 broad sword, 40 katana, 40
> machete, 40 rapier, such a person would pick up a curve bladed
> saber and suddenly find themselves better at it (50) than any of
> the other bladed weapons they actually practiced.  ^.^()

GURPS actually deals well with this, with default scores in a
skill. This would actually carry over fairly decently to a computer
based game.  Say, for the sake of arguement, each skill level costs
a point.  Then if you had katana at 40, you'd have long bladed
weapons at (katana/4) or 10, and if you spent a point, you'd have
long bladed weapons at 11.  If you spent 4 points in katana, you'd
have long bladed weapons at 12 (44/4 + 1 point in skill).  Of
course, in a pen and paper game, you'd have all sorts of tedious
recalculation every time you spent points in a skill, but computers
are good for that sort of thing.

As you point out, this has applications is all sorts of non-combat
based skills as well.