[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Jun 1 15:33:18 CEST 1997

At 01:54 PM 6/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>On Fri, 30 May 1997 21:24:10 PST8PDT, Jeff Kesselman
 but powergaming is easy. In fact, it's the easiest
>thing in the world. "Uhhhh... I can kick your ass." Even Beavis and
>Butthead understand that.

Yeah, i agree with your assesment, though I think thee is suntlty here...
Soem poeple "powergame" ebcause to them the game is about aqusition, msot
notably of power.  I have a VERY gopod freind in poltics and I suppsoe thsi
applies at least in aprt to him.

Others however pwoergame because they want the ffelign of control over others.
These are the  immature personalities that cause problems... they are
tryign to make up for soem lack or problem in their own lives... be that
the typical teenage feelign of pwerlessness or actual abused people
perpetuating abuse on others (and yes, I have actrually seen both), or soem
other personal issue...

In ANy case its is TEHSE who are destructive because they are incapable of
having fun except at others expense.

A SPERATE issue is whetehr you can mix pdorductive powergamers and
roleplayers, i think probably not. i see their goasl as inhearently at odds.

>>I say ALOMOST enterily because I have actually seen one INCRDIBLY annoying
>>anti-powergamer (she wasn't a roleplayer 'caus e she couldn't rp her way
>>otu of a paper bag).  As soon as the game in question aded a "no-pvp" flag
>>what did she do? Get in all the power gamers afes with a "you can't hit me
>>naa naa" act.  Sheesh.
>
>How was this person an anti-powergamer? I mean, going from 'I can kick
>your ass' you 'You can't kick my ass' is a pretty small distinction.

Yes, this WAS my point.

>What *was* her style of play?

Hmm, she was half of a team of two that sysosp started calling "blonde and
blonder"...  but ignoring the afct that she seems to have the brains fo
your average cabbage (and not I talked abt maturity and sophistication
earlier, NOT intellect. Some of your PKilling assholes are distrubingly
intellegent.)

I'ld have to say she was a "social gamer"... she probably woudl have been
abotu as happy in a chat room.  Oh, she aslso liekd quests that took
persistance ratehr tehn intlligence... digging  for items for instance (a
stupid quest we got rid of in Dark Son Online 1.5)

But I agree, with your comment, i thin kshe was doing the classic "abused
with some power" thing when she verbally abused the pkillers from behind
her no-pvp flag saftey sheild.  I think its not fundementally different
from what alot of our asshole-pkilelrs do.

>Note that being a really BAD roleplayer doesn't change the fact you're a
>roleplayer. There are bad and obnoxious roleplayers out there too. Some
>of them even turn out to be assholes.

Oh,k I disagree... but thats me...
I thin ka bad roleplayer may be trainable to be a good one. But ANYONE is
trainable if they WANT to learn.  If a pure PvPer suddenly decided he
really wanetd to leanr to RP, I coudl teach him...  I HAVE doen os in Pen
and Paper.

>>The big thing i think is that power gamers TEND to be alot less mature then
>>the serious roleplayers, thus you see all these other behaviors wiuthin
>>their numbers.
>
>No, I disagree; the less mature gravitate to powergaming

Okay, your are rigth and thats really what I meant.  Thats why I said "tend
towartds' but your formulation is better....

PvP tends to attract the immature and problem players more then roleplay does.

Hows that?

JK