ANNOUNCEMENT: [graphical commercial] Mystic Realms

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Wed Oct 29 09:14:36 CET 1997

SHORT: Fully graphical online multi-player fantasy computer role-playing
   game, with advanced features (see below). SHELL or BBS account
currently
   required (PPP support coming soon). No up front costs and the first two
   weeks are free (free until July 14 for those that sign on by June 30)
and,
   after that, monthly prices as low as $10/month.

--------------------------------  SPECIFICS
--------------------------------

 * Mystic Realms is a commercial, full function graphical fantasy role
   playing game designed from the ground up for multi-player, online play.
If
   you haven't heard about us before its because, yes, we made a conscious

   decision early on not to do any advertising until we were ready to open

   our doors.

 * At the present time a Shell or BBS account is required. PPP/Slip
support
   is planned to be made available in a matter of weeks, and we will be
   reposting this advertisement at that time. Once we reach that point,
both
   PPP and non-PPP types of access will continue to be supported on a long

   term basis.

 * A long term project with long term value in mind for our customers. As
   such, a game that is never fully completed, but is instead continually
   enhanced as time goes along. In other words, not a game that will be
   'replaced' by the next generation in a year or so.

 * Full color 'dashboard' type interface with character status graphics,
text
   display, graphics on the status of other characters in view, and a
'bird's
   eye view' visual display with 3D affects and 'in the game' feel. Also,
an
   icon based 'tactical map' giving even greater visibility (over 100%

   greater) into the area around your character.

 * Advanced game system but easy to get into with over 50 pre-generated
   (optimized) characters to choose from, on-line help, and a softcopy

   player's manual available both on and off line. For those that wish to
   'role their own', a character generator that uses build points instead
of
   a die roller so you can generate a character to your own specifications

   instead of trying to get the right die rolls.

 * Eight character races and eleven classes with skill based system used
   throughout for character advancement. What this means is that you
decide
   what skills you want to train in and thus no two characters will ever
be
   the same. Also, unlike some other games, there are no restrictions on
how
   high a level you can advance to.

 * Superior melee combat system with 4 different fighter classes and
multiple
   combat options available each round with graphical information from
which
   to make one's choices. Over 40 different weapons to choose from with
   significant differentation between weapons. Wounds, bleeding, combat
   intensity, tactical agressiveness and much more.

 * Elegantly designed system for clerics and magic users. By 'elegant' we
   mean we have thrown out the hundreds of worthless and oftentimes
redundant
   spells that sometimes characterize other systems. Instead, almost all
of
   one's prayers or spells are available at start, with it being a matter
of
   what skill level you are in a given prayer or spell that makes the
   difference.

 * Advanced stealth functions for Thieves, Assassins, Rangers, etc (note:
PvP
   is prohibitied except in special areas designed for that purpose).
Thieves
   can get to the highest levels simply by stealing from the critters in
the
   game. Assassins get 'Snuff' (silent kill) as well as 'Backstab'.
Rangers
   are now formidiable having some significant stealth abilities.

 * Special chat functions with chat available real time everywhere within
   the game. Pubs, town halls and other areas in the game with special
   chat functions. Forums for discussion outside of the game.

 * Seamless arcitecture design. What this means is that the game can be
   expanded in any direction to any degree. Also, no limit on the number
of
   players that can be on at the same time.

 * One game, one world. In other words, if we get a lot of customers we
won't
   be bringing up a new instance of the game on a different server and
just
   putting those new customers there. Instead, we will be taking different

   areas of the game and putting THEM on different servers, as well as
   taking other steps, so that everyone can still play in the same game.

 * Close working relationship with a successful, privately owned Internet
   Service Provider (MHVNet). What this means is solid Internet Host
   Connection (T1) and ongoing technical support.

 * Minimal system requirements. A 20 Mhz IBM compatible PC with 2 Meg
memory
   and mouse is the recommended minimum, though the faster the computer
the
   better. Can be run from DOS, Windows or Win95. Supports 7-bit as well
as
   8-bit connections. Non-standard IRQ (to IRQ15) supported. Can be run
   through any ISP providing Shell or BBS type access and with Telnet and
FTP
   capability, including Compuserve and other large ISPs.

 * Easy to access and no 'up-front' costs. You simply download the files
from
   the FTP account and your account is created for you when you first log
on.
   Your first two weeks of access are FREE and after that credit card
   payments can be made from a menu online (checks and money orders also
   accepted).

 * Special, Limited Time Only: Anyone that signs on before the end of June

   can play until July 14 for FREE. After that, just the first two weeks
of
   access will be free.

 * Best pricing plans available anywhere, with different plans designed to
   fit everyone's budget, including:
   - $10/month (flat rate, unlimited access): For those on a tight budget
and
     having a lot of time or, who want to take a more casual approach to
     their online role-playing.
   - $20/month (as above with skill gain 1.5x and the right to design a
guild
     hall or manor and have it constructed): For those with a bit bigger
     budget and a bit less time.
   - $30/month (as above with skill gain 2x and write access to design
     forums): For those with a larger budget and even less time.

 * How do I access? Simply download the READ.ME file from the FTP site at
   199.0.0.4 (sign on with an ID of 'anonymous' and set your data transfer
   to BINARY) and go from there. If you run into any problems send EMail
   Online Games Net at:

   OG.NET at BBS.MHV.NET

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net