[MUD-Dev] Re: Wired, UO, and Internet Gaming (was Re: OT:

Koster Koster
Mon May 4 09:16:11 CEST 1998

On Sunday, May 03, 1998 10:11 PM Dr. Cat [SMTP:cat at bga.com] Said:

>Mike Sellers wrote (and then I hand attributed 'cause my mailer
doesn't):
>> I just skimmed Raph's comments on this.  I agree with him
wholeheartedly.
>> Amy Jo's article basically got eviscerated by the editors at
Wired.
>That is a shame.  Is the text of Amy's original version available
>anywhere, or would I have to ask her for it?  I know she has some
>interesting ideas herself about online environments and user
interfaces -
>the two times I've spoken with her she had things to say that made me
>think, which always makes me think well of a person.  She did some
>contract design work on Mplayer's user interface, and some other
places
>as well.

I read an earlier draft that was lengthier, but I know that it changed
substantially after that. It was up on the web, at a "secret" URL so
that we at OSI could read it in advance for fact-checking... but it's
gone now. But I know that much of the content of that article will be
in her forthcoming book, as a case study of UO.

>I was a bit surprised to read the bit where it was mentioned that
>cannibalism was possible in the game.  Well I suppose it's one more
thing
>that adds to the roleplaying possibilities for the evil characters.
 :X)

Well, carving of corpses was possible, see, and once you got ribs, you
could cook them, see, so it just sorta happened. :) That an an
overzealous designer who thought chopping up corpses was cool. :)

-Raph

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.