[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: Java multithreading test source

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Sat May 23 23:20:17 CEST 1998

Ben Greear wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> > Here are my results in graphic format running Vadim's Java thread
> > test program.
>
> And mine:
>
> Cyrix 150 Mhz, Linux 2.0.30, 64 MB RAM.
> Jdk 1.1.3 (No JIT that I know of.)
>
> The first 400 or so threads had lag at around 20.
>
> After that, it climbed steadily.
>
> I finally got a null pointer exception from the Logger at
> around 750 threads.

This is no big deal, it happens because I'm a little bit paranoid :-)
Explanation would be useless at this moment, but take my word on it -
that's normal.

For me, number of threads goes MINIMUM to 1300+ on 64M computer, but,
the minimal processor is Pentium 233.

>  After that, it started a few more threads
> then it just kinda stopped doing anything.

What if you give it a chance to run for 20-30 more minutes?

> The CPU was maxed out for most of this time btw.

What do you mean - maxed out? Usually, the load doesn't go above 1.2-1.5

> > My thoughts:
>
> Need a Pentium II for sure... :)

Nah...

--