(subject missing)

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Sep 23 14:06:32 CEST 1998

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:28:20 +0200
Vladimir Prelovac<tomcat at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:

> I am looking for a spell system, that would be possible to code,
> and would let the spellcasters create new spells in the
> game. Something like spell researching.

You may like to look into the Mage 2 Mage and Waving Hands systems
discussed here previously (both are algorithmic spell systems).
While I can't recall the name of it now (and don't have time to
search alas (Travis? Adam?) there was also some discussion of an
simple procedural language for spell definitions (I remember
something about player mages writing new spells they designed on the
pages of spell books...).

A very quick search suggests the following as starting points:

  http://www.kanga.nu/~petidomo/lists/mud-dev/1997Q3/msg00934.html
  http://www.kanga.nu/~petidomo/lists/mud-dev/1998Q2/msg00107.html

I'm particularly fond of Mage 2 Mage; non-programmers may have
different views.

> I've downloaded the list archives and have just started browsing
> it, and didnt come to any such discussion yet. Heh, did you know
> there are more than 20,000 sheets of paper there? :)

One trusts, if only for the forest's sake, that you didn't print
them...<kof>

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com