[MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft

quzah quzah
Fri Sep 25 23:31:51 CEST 1998

From: Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> on Friday, September 25,
1998 at 8:20 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: let's call it a spellcraft
>What if casting a spell subtracts a certain number of spell points from
>EVERYONE on the MUD? So like, if I cast the spell of "Armageddon", which
>wastes everything else in the room, it costs five hundred spell points --
>and the game runs out and grabs all (say) twenty people on the MUD and
>takes 25 of their spell points. If someone doesn't have enough spell
>points, my spell fails and no one loses anything.
>
>Hmmmmm.

Or, just keep a global amount of spell/magic energy. The soil/land
could add to this number every pulse/whatever, and when a spell is
cast, it is removed from this number -- this way, the land would be
able to be magiced out/depleted. Another thought, is to have it room
or zone based, and you could deplete the magical energy of the room
or zone. You could also give different regneration rates for the
mana/magic in the room or zone, based on terrain type, or whatever.
You could then have low or high magic areas, or areas without any
what so ever. Shrug.
-Q-