[MUD-Dev] banning the sale of items

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Apr 17 04:08:10 CEST 2000

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Ryan Palacio wrote:

> Tess Lowe wrote:
> > Personally I would like to see a level playing field where skill and
> talent
> > decided who rose to the top of the tree. But failing that I see no reason
> at
> > all why Money should be any less (or more) acceptable as a means of
> getting
> > ahead than Time is.
>
> First person shooters, real-time strategy, anything that even remotely
> resembles "twitch" environments sounds like your level playing field.
> Personally, I have always attempted to devoid games I have worked on of
> "twitch" skill.  Reaction time is not a good judge of "role-playing" skill.
> How does one algorithmically judge "skill and talent" at role-playing?  In
> my mind that is akin to asking a computer to analyze the esthetics of a
> painting or piece of music.  It will understand the data.  But can it
> understand how it makes you "feel"?

Is roleplaying skill the standard by which things should be judged? I
certainly think not, and given the absolutely abomindable roleplaying I
see in most MMORPGs, it's barely a concern at all. (Yeah, I know we call
them role-playing games, but they are role-playing games only in the
broadest of terms.)

--matt