[MUD-Dev] selling Godhoods

Darren Henderson darren at nighttide.net
Thu Apr 27 11:04:39 CEST 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Darren Henderson wrote:
>
> > IMO if you have someone willing to pay that kind of money they are most
> > likely suspect to begin with.
>
> So...if I'm willing to pay $60k as opposed to $10k for a car, I'm suspect?
> This sort of logic is suspect.

Hardly. If you are willing to spend $60k for a car does that mean you are
a better driver or care more about cars then I do because I will only pay
$10K? You spent $60K so you will take better care of your car then I will
because I only paid $10K? I hope we can agree that that is fellacious.

But that is the kind of thing that you appear to be saying with $3K
godhood. If they invest $3K, (and if they meet my standards), then they
will, (hopefully) be more dedicated.

You have a business and you wish to generate revenue. If that were your
stated purpose in this instance it would make perfect sense to me.
However, in this case your stated goal as I have understood it, is to
decrease the attrition of your gods. I'm not pursaded, (not that I need to
be) that this is a likely outcome.

To me, someone who is willing to buy their way in, has indicated by that
act that their interests don't coincide with your game world. They want to
skip the "hard part". Thats not neccessarily a bad thing. Different people
different interests. Its possible to have someone who will make a great
god but hates playing the game. I'm not sure the liklihood is high
though.

Just have a ingrained suspision of people who want to get to the top
without working for it. Who wants the bosses idiot brother in-law over
them by virtue of the boss' daughter's bad tastes rather then the brother
in-law's talent? (of course even if the brother in-law knows his stuff he
will still be tainted by the connection).

Be interesting to hear how it works out for you.

Darren Henderson                                  darren at nighttide.net

                   Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/