[MUD-Dev] Re: PvP systems

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Mon Feb 12 11:47:46 CET 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 gmiller at classic-games.com wrote:

> On Wed,  7 Feb 2001 14:35:43 -0800 (PST)
> <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Greg Miller wrote:

>>> I'm not saying I want a dangerous world. I want a world where I
>>> don't have to deal with odd admin rules interpretations, admin
>>> whims, and the irritating wait to have some employee come fix my
>>> problem for me in those inevitable cases where another player
>>> causes me trouble. I want the ability to apply negative
>>> reinforcement in the face of inappropriate behavior.

>> Fair enough, but the problem is how to give you the ability to
>> apply negative reinforcement _only_ in the face of inappropriate
>> behavior. Inappropriate behavior, unless you adept a very
>> simplistic definition of it, can't, as of now, be completely
>> defined in code.

> I'm not terribly interested in enforcing my own personal moral
> standards on players. If the players consider it inappropriate, it's
> inappropriate in my book.

Oh, I agree. I'm mainly interesed in letting players define
appropriate and inappropriate. More importantly, I'm interested in
letting players define appropriate and inappropriate behavior within
their sub-communities and within any territory that their
sub-community might control.

The difficulty, of course, is that the rules players decide on cannot
be codified into code. Thus, it is players who must dole out the
punishments, and players can be unjust. It's well and good to say that
you are just going to let players do whatever they want in their
jurisdictions, but as Achaea's owner, I wouldn't want some Hitler
driving off 6 million of my players by torturing them
repeatedly. (apologies for the rather bad taste there, but it seemed
an appropriate example.)

> Of course, players may disagree. If you get fairly even numbers of
> people vehemently defending different sides of the same issue, I
> suspect you need some mechanism to reward those who agree to
> disagree and punish those who don't.  That was the original
> motivation behind that curse system. I wanted something that tended
> to reward conflict avoidance. A number of other variations are also
> possible, and I'd love to hear and related schemes people have come
> up with.

Why do you want to reward conflict avoidance though? Conflicts are the
basis of pretty much all interesting stories.

--matt