[MUD-Dev] Condsiders

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Feb 21 23:28:50 CET 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:24:23 -0000
Daniel Harman <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com> wrote:

> How about a consider system that statistically records the success
> rates of class x vs mob x at level x. Then bases the rating
> against this.

My temptation has been to make it a subjective command.  I report
statistics relatively, both for yourself (ie your character), and
for the other characters you query.  Loosely, any statistic is
relative to a weighted average of all the other instances of that
statistic you have met in the recent past, with a heavier weight
given to exceptional values in the more distant past.  The
cannonical joke of which is:

  > whoami
  You are Bernie.
  > stats
  Strength: 150
  Bubba picks up a huge boulder with one hand and crushes it to
  sand on his head.
  > stats
  Strength: 25
  A leaf flutters off the tree above and smashes Boffo to the ground.
  Boffo is stuck under the leaf and can't move.
  > stats
  Strength: 65

Nothing changed except for his perception of strength.

The attempt is to model a form of self-image as weighted against
perception.  Most delightfully stat reports react to illusions as if
they were real.  The leaf above may well have been illusory, or
Boffo may well have been play-acting to purposefully delude your
perceptions.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu