[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Feb 21 23:36:07 CET 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:51:05 +1100
Kevin Littlejohn <darius at bofh.net.au> wrote:

> I find this kind of encroachment disturbing - it's small shavings
> off our right to privacy.  Suddenly I find that if I piss off an
> admin over here, I get banned over there, or the "trusted third
> party" gets bought out by yahoo and my profile as a game player is
> one of the assets, or whatever.  I don't believe "give me a reason
> why I shouldn't track you" is the appropriate response here -
> "give me a reason why you must" makes more sense.

In looking at this area its also worth consider both the uses and
abuses the MAPS RBL and the ORBS list:

The model is similar, but the (ab)uses to which they have been
stretched, such as Vixie using MAPs to filter their BGP broadcasts
and thus literally cut off argetted sites from much of the 'net is
worth examining.

  http://mail-abuse.org/
  http://www.orbs.org/

Note that both lists are simple publications, notices of observed
behaviour, and that the problems derive from the uses to which
people put those lists, not the lists themselves.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu