[MUD-Dev] PvP Systems

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Feb 22 00:10:12 CET 2001

msew writes:

> possible problem with user determined flag system
>
>   group A vs group B
>
>   subset of A set flag of "no attack" on (ie all those nice AE spells
>   and pets and ability to attack is removed)
>
>   A and B fight
>
>   During the fight at key moments someone from the A subset moves to a
>   backstab position or a position where they can optimal damage from
>   an AE spell or some other vicious one time attack (ie Backstab) and
>   "enter the fray".  B is powerless to attack these people even tho
>   they KNOW that that person is going to be attacking soon.

In the group case, subgroups cannot override parent group settings.  If you
belong to the Blues and the Blues are attacking the Greens, you are included
in that.  If you don't want to follow the dictates of the Blues, drop out of
the organization.

> adding various time limits and such can try and "fix" the above case
> but time limits just make it a bit harder to exploit.

Time limits are part of the system.  Transitions of settings can be changed
only slowly.  If PvP is engaged in, switching PvP off takes much longer than
normal.

> any system where the user can change his state from attackable to non
> attackable is exploitable.

Social mores should have an effect on this.  Players who abuse the flags
will be left out of future PvP encounters.  If you and I fight and you
switch off your PvP for future encounters and then switch it back on again
to surprise me, I can turn off your opportunity to attack me.  You get to
abuse the privilege once and then no more.

Note that if you and I fight because we are in warring groups, you cannot
turn off the PvP flags without leaving the organization that you're in.  You
can turn off your own, but you are subject to whatever organization you
belong to.  If you decide to attack me and then bail out of the
organization, you have to get back into the organization in order to attack
me using the Blue/Green rules of engagement.  If word gets out that you're
clowning around with the PvP system for grief purposes, the Blues ideally
won't let you back in.

JB