[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 27 20:56:44 CET 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Richard A. Bartle wrote:

> On 25th February, 2001, Matt wrote:

>> I've noticed almost no cross-pollination between the great PKers
>> and the great politicians in Achaea.

> If you have PKing as an activity in which they can indulge, yes, I'd
> expect most PK types to gravitate towards that. However, people can
> have a PK type of attitude to the game (wishing to impose themselves
> on others, whether positively or negatively) without being
> traditional hack-and-slay types of PKing. I'd put strongly political
> players (who weren't just doing it to be social or successful or out
> of curiosity) into the PK quadrant of my player types graph. What
> they want is the same as traditional PKs, although why they want it
> and the means by which they go about it don't necessarily match.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to lump in politics with PK. They
are both subsets of general PvP, but don't have a lot of relationship
to each other. I also disagree that what they want is the same as
traditional PK players. Most hardcore PK players enjoy causing other
people pain. I know, I used to be one (though only in MUDs where
combat took skill as opposed to levels+equipment). The most successful
politicians (at least in my experience) on the other hand, are
consensus builders who, regardless of their actual motives (which we
can never really know), certainly ACT as if they want to help the
people around them (they wouldn't stay in power long at all otherwise,
as I do not allow systems in which the will of the majority can be
overridden for too long.)

--matt