[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Tue May 8 08:43:46 CEST 2001

Kwon Ekstrom wrote:

> I don't know how to do this in C, with java, any exception stores
> the stack trace from the line it was thrown on.  You can then output
> the stack trace to a stream or a writer (I've written code to put
> the trace into a string array so I can attach it to my logs for
> later viewing online)

No, that's very different from what I'm asking.  What I wanted is
exactly what the pstack program that Neil Brown referenced
provides. The difference is that when you throw an exception, you can
grab a jmp_buf and use that to walk back up the stack which isn't so
hard.  My problem was different in that I want stacktraces at
arbitrary times, and without executing any code on that thread (like
to get a jmp_buf).

I just got back from a trip, so I'm looking forward to checking out
the pstack code later this week. :)

  - Bruce