Emotional Responses to Traumatic Events (Was Re: [Mud-Dev] Logical Mud Areas)

Wed May 16 20:38:04 CEST 2001

Peter Yu wrote:

> So no, the emotional investment in accepting an anonymous phone call
> is not the same as those of playing an online game.  So, yes,
> besides for rape, this could be extended to any other types of
> highly traumatic events. (Which, I suppose, is one reason to argue
> against permenant death of player characters within a game, as
> well.)

Uhm. Receiving an anonymous phone call without anything being said can
be traumatic if you have reason to believe that there is a potential
stalker behind it.  And you may start to fear going out alone too.
Stalkers want to hear her voice...

I've watched 12-13 years olds being severely raped in text chat, and
they did engage in a fight rather than whining about it. Enjoying the
support of the rest of the chatroom. Quite interesting.

It's all about what you expect and what you are lead to expect.

Ola.