[MUD-Dev] Locations vs Social Spaces (was: I Want to Forge Sw ords)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Fri May 18 10:31:40 CEST 2001

According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:

> EQ, can now just about manage 70 people attacking one monster (with
> what appears to be graphical lag more than data lag - hard to tell

Not graphical lag (unless you have particle effects turned to the max,
which tends to put even the best 3D cards to their knees).

There's a good reason why (after so long), EQ implemented data
congestion commands that selects what kind of events are reported by
the server to the client. What "kills" a connection during these large
battles is the flood of updates.

The real bottleneck is in the data pipes, rather than the 3D engine
(well, everyone here has a GEForce3... no??? :).

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!