[MUD-Dev] Death of a game addict

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Apr 4 17:46:43 CEST 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Marc Bowden wrote:

> As an administrator of an on-line game, you can't do anything
> right.  Face it.  If you try to defend yourself against cheating,
> predators, or curb Mother's Little Darlings Who Can't Deal With
> Life, someone will sue you.  If the constant threat of lawsuits
> makes you and your superiors nervous, and you decide to back off,
> someone will sue you.

Awwh, it's not that bad. Being an admin can be quite rewarding. I
get more complaints than compliments, but the complaints are often
one-liners like "Why the hell did you give the devotion-users the
Rite of Cleansing?? That's so overpowered!" Those roll right off and
don't bother me in the least. On the other hand, it's all made up
for when I get multiple page e-mails from grateful users thanking me
for creating the world they love so much, etc etc. Those aren't as
common, but they more than make up for it. Plus, it's just fun
developing and administering a world. Running the plots, watching
the intrigues, designing new systems and watching the players love
(or hate) them. I dunno, I just don't think it's that bad.

--matt