[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

shren shren at io.com
Tue Nov 12 10:50:03 CET 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Rayzam wrote:
> From: "Dave Rickey" <daver at mythicentertainment.com>
>> From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

>>> Isn't flow just another word for concentration? 'Flow' has a few
>>> too many mystical connotations to me :)

>> Perhaps the mystical connotations are appropriate?  Anyway, it's
>> partly concentration.  There have been some medical studies on
>> the phenomenon, at a neurological level it's more like all
>> non-essential conscious brain activity has been turned off, and
>> whatever functions are required for the task at hand have been
>> given full use of the wetware.

> There have been studies of the brains of people imagining
> activities.  When expert athletes imagine themselves performing
> their sport, they get a larger alpha wave rhythm [which appears in
> sleep and drowsiness for us non-olympians ;)]. They also get
> increased frontal lobe, i.e. executive functions, decision-making,
> and other choice-type functions, activation. One group showed the
> same for heavy duty FPS-players.

I can buy this.  I was debugging some javascript OnSubmit code the
other day, and I had to click a little spot on the lower left hand
side of my browser to to get the error, right after I clicked
submit.  It took me about 5 or 6 tries to click the submit button
then bring the error up - yet I usually hit what I'm aiming at in
FPSes, arguably a harder task.