[MUD-Dev] Picketing in Sims Online

shren shren at io.com
Mon Nov 25 03:07:37 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Marc Fielding wrote:

> McDonalds is known for requiring franchisees to adhere to a strict
> set of guidelines (i.e. cleanliness, staff qualifications,
> profitability, etc.) in order to maintain their license.

> Regarding Sims Online, a particularly smooth approach would be to
> require interested parties to sign/click-thru an in-game franchise
> agreement to uphold the McDonalds brand before being granted the
> right to build and operate.

> It would allow positive exposure in a popular game while giving
> the company recourse should a rogue Sim engage in
> "brand-diminishing" activities. ;)

You're mad.  McDonalds is in it for one thing alone - advertising.
They want the golden arches all over the Sim world.  They've no
interest in extra administrative costs, it comes down to that I'm
sure they didn't think about thier precious logo being misused.

If McDonalds is unhappy with the advertising they get, they'll get
no more - if they're happy, they'll buy more of this kind of thing.
I'd be amazed to see them taking any kind of active role in things -
I'm sure they'd pull out long before even considering it.