[MUD-Dev] online voice communication

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Nov 25 10:11:33 CET 2002

From: Dave Trump [mailto:trump at trumps.net]

> It's fairly easy using 80's technology to change voice into
> phonetic text and back.  Text flies accross the 'net, and you
> would avoid the problem you mentioned with the hulking warrior
> sounding like a little kid.  Simply running the correct filter for
> whatever character on the client side would allow you to change
> the text into whatever voice type you wanted, male, female, human,
> orc, whatever.

So instead everyone sounds like a digitised voice? Not sure which is
worse, whiney kid or call centre robot. I've yet to hear any text to
speech that wasn't immediately recognisable as such, and certain to
get grating after only a few seconds having to listen to it.

What I'd find interesting is an experiment to see if players could
read those phonetics without having to convert it to speech. It
would certainly make the game world seem unique!

Dan