[MUD-Dev] Picketing in Sims Online

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Tue Nov 26 16:48:17 CET 2002

From: shren

> You're mad.  McDonalds is in it for one thing alone - advertising.
> They want the golden arches all over the Sim world.  They've no
> interest in extra administrative costs, it comes down to that I'm
> sure they didn't think about thier precious logo being misused.

> If McDonalds is unhappy with the advertising they get, they'll get
> no more - if they're happy, they'll buy more of this kind of
> thing.  I'd be amazed to see them taking any kind of active role
> in things - I'm sure they'd pull out long before even considering
> it.

No, no...you misunderstand me.

The ONLY part of the "real-world" franchise agreement to be
implemented in Sims Online should be the "positive brand image"
standards. Even if McDonald's isn't planning any ongoing interaction
with "virtual franchisees," requiring that players click-through a
license agreement that specifies (un)desirable behavior, would
provide the company with some measure of recourse (i.e. loss of
storefront) should things "go wrong."

Finally, I'll be shocked if their lawyers *haven't* thought of this.
Lawyers are trained to exhibit a fine degree of paranoia where their
client's rights and properties are concerned.

-Marc