[MUD-Dev] Questions for User Surveys

shren shren at io.com
Thu Feb 6 16:06:24 CET 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 lynx at lynx.purrsia.com wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, shren wrote:

> That's the big question though.  Does this solve the problem?  Why
> do people object to being at a lesser level of experience, skill,
> character power, etc. than others, especially with respect to
> their friends?

I don't know.  Why are brothers jealous of thier older brother who
gets to stay out late, instead of thier younger brother who is still
working on the potty-training thing?

> Allowing someone to actually reset his character level or pretend
> to be of a lower character level only solves the 'sense of
> accomplishment' problem.  It does very little for the first or
> second.

I'm not trying to take care of the philosophical issue.  I'm trying
to take care of the mechanics issue.  In general, when we have these
level systems, what a 15th level struggles with a 50th level can
complete with his eyes closed.  There's generally not even a
mechanic for pulling your punches even in the most trivial way.
Thus, people who want to play with other people try to have
characters around thier level.

Should they need to do that?