[MUD-Dev] Limited character lifespans

shren shren at io.com
Thu Feb 6 16:21:18 CET 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Dan Shiovitz wrote:

> I've been kicking around a system where low-level and mid-level
> characters have indefinite lifespans, but when a mid-level
> character chooses to start the high-level track, they get
> razzle-dazzle powers but also, say, 60 days before their character
> expires. The theory here is that the sweet spot for character play
> is the mid-levels, not the high-levels, and so most of the
> playtime should be spent there; but systems with unlimited
> lifespan for higher-level players tend to end up with a pileup at
> the top levels.

The only thing even remotely like this that I've ever heard of is a
tale from a live action game - apparently somebody aspired to and
succeeded at binding themselves to the elemental plane of magic.
This got them both the godlike power they sought and also started
them down the road towards permadeath.  I don't know how that story
turned out - it could even be one of those "friend of a friend of a
friend but never actually happened" stories.

When it comes to online games, the way I see it is that nobody wants
to be the first game to be taking people's characters away.  The
idea of only aging when you cross a certain power level is an
interesting one, though.