[MUD-Dev] NWN gets more MUD-like (again)

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 20:40:14 CET 2003

Smith, David (Lynchburg)

> In conclusion, no, I still don't know that this method presented
> is the method used in the Avlis persistence system, but I'm more
> sure that a variation of this method can be made to work with
> Neverwinter Nights.

Dave,

*start Ted's wild guess here*

I'd say that chances are good that they use one of several hooking
methods.

  http://research.microsoft.com/sn/detours/
  http://help.madshi.net/ApiHookingMethods.htm
  http://www.internals.com/articles/apispy/apispy.htm

For instance, several people have been using the madshi's
madCodeHookLib (similar to the detours method above) to inject a
custom function into the Anarchy Online client process.  Using that
method, you can break at any known function location, do what you
need (including calling the original function), and return; just as
described by Avlis' description of their SQL query extender.

The only time-consuming part is finding which function does what you
want...  and that just involves going through the import table of
each DLL and finding the mangled-name of the canidate functions.

*end wild guess*

Moral of the story: client-side DLLs are a hacker's friend :)

TLC