[MUD-Dev] MMORPG, buildings, is it bad to be just props?

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Feb 19 12:24:24 CET 2003

Damion Schubert wrote:

> So I guess my take is: by all means, make a fully interactable
> town, but keep player traffic patterns in mind when you lay out
> the thing, with a real eye for what players truly value.

...or make the layout dynamically self-re-configuring :).

Which, of course, is what attracts some of the "simulate, simulate,
simulate" crowd: Why are we still "hard-coding" locations of things,
which are guaranteed sooner or later to be in the "wrong" place,
when we could theoretically use emergent behaviour, evolutionary
programming etc to make it self-adapting?

IRL it's painfully obvious that commercial centres are anything but
static: I don't know how many good examples there are in the US
(where my historical knowledge is I'm afraid very patchy) but
trade-towns and cities in Europe have been so mobile they
practically have legs. Every time any particular trade good became a
lot more (or less) important or valuable, towns and cities would
spring up or die out (although the process may take many
decades). Ditto with lifestyle-changes: people follow desire as well
as money, and shops follow people.

Adam M