[MUD-Dev] MMORPG, buildings, is it bad to be just props?

Lee Sheldon lsheldo2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 19 15:32:17 CET 2003

Damion Schubert:

> This goes back to that realism vs. immersion thing.  In a real
> world, the world is full of buildings you will never need to
> enter, people who you will never need to interact with, and if you
> did, they'd all have something interesting to say.

Agreeing with Damion (Although I'm hoping I'm reading the line about
them all having something interesting to say wrong - don't you mean
the opposite?), I'd compare this to the age old tug-of-war: Realism
vs.  Drama.  Drama selects the most interesting stuff for us.  As
designers of these worlds we should be doing the same thing.  For me
it is the same false paradigm we confronted when solo games went
graphical.  I distinctly remember in the first King's Quest how cool
it was to walk my little toon across a room from one door to the
next... The first few times I did it.  After that it became tedious.
I also remember a Star Trek adventure game ( I forget the title
though!) that allowed you to "jump cut" your character (or party) to
a distant visible location.  It was a nice steal of a common film
technique to dump reality in favor of drama.

Lee