[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG Server design

Weston Fryatt wfryatt at muuf.com
Fri Feb 21 15:51:41 CET 2003

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at zenofdesign.com>

>> What is the best design for an MMORPG Server?

> First, you should define 'best'.  This will largely be dependant
> upon your timescale, your funding, your talent pool and your
> desire to spend time coding complex server interactions vs, say,
> spending that extra year coding cool combat designs.

Wish I had funding.. :( So, I have to do what I can afford out of my
own pocket for now.

My Talent pool is myself and one other programmer. Its really hard
to find programmers willing to work on a project without funding.
The best that I can do for now, Is offer a percentage of the company
if we ever get the project done.

Our time line is when ever we get it done, But I should like to see
a working system in about 2 or 3 years from now.  Its hard and slow
work when you can only work on the project part time, weekends and a
few hours in the evenings.

> Also, you should talk to your designer and identify the true goals
> of the game.  This could have a big impact.  Complex server
> solutions also make it so that you get to risky design
> propositions later in the product, increasing risk on the 'fun
> factor' side.

I'm or I should say.. The 6 of us that makes up our company are the
designers.. We've been working on the design for years now.. and
just now starting to code parts of the game.

Thanks,
Weston Fryatt