[MUD-Dev] MMORPG, buildings, is it bad to be just props?

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Feb 21 15:57:06 CET 2003

From: "Chris Holko" <cholko at mindspring.com>

> For those who haven't seen Decal, let alone AC1, just search out
> Decal on sourceforge.  It was an incredible extension of the game.
> While it did lead to some detrimental plug-ins the overall idea
> was very good.

Tribes has something similar, the entire UI is written in a custom
C-like scripting language, and you can rewrite it as you wish (and
are able).  This turned out to be a major strength of the system:
When Tribes 2 was released, the implementation of joystick control
for flying vehicles *really* sucked, it was incredibly difficult
just to fly and dog-fighting was out of the question.  But it didn't
matter much, since there was already a client script written by a
Beta player that re-worked the system to behave more like standard
aircraft controls.  I added a throttle control script of my own to
that (both the standard and this addon left you with only 3 speeds;
Full out, Reverse, and Stop).

Some things are not available to the scripts to prevent bots and
exploits, like exact XYZ locations for anything.  And there were
some script-based exploits (like getting and then using a hundred
repair kits while in the repair station for 3 seconds), but not
really that many.

--Dave