[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG Server design

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Sat Feb 22 06:48:48 CET 2003

Weston Fryatt wrote:

> My Talent pool is myself and one other programmer. Its really hard
> to find programmers willing to work on a project without funding.
> The best that I can do for now, Is offer a percentage of the
> company if we ever get the project done.

> Our time line is when ever we get it done, But I should like to
> see a working system in about 2 or 3 years from now.  Its hard and
> slow work when you can only work on the project part time,
> weekends and a few hours in the evenings.

Something that you can do to reduce the amount of work that you have
to do is to use middleware where it exists.  This is a common
practice in the industry to reduce costs, risk and development
timelines.

Looking at your website, I see that you're writing a new 3D engine
and terrain rendering system.  Have you looked at the various 3D
renderers out there that could save you the time, frustration and
risk of writing your own?  An engine like The Nebula Device
(http://nebuladevice.sf.net/) provides a lot of the common
infrastructure needed for a game, along with some high quality
terrain renderers (one based on geomipmapping, one based on Thatcher
Ulrich's ChunkLOD).

By latching onto some existing tools and projects, you can take
advantage of the effort that others are expending and put it your
own use in furtherance of your own plans.