[MUD-Dev] The Price of Being Male

Tom tom at interspaces.com
Tue Jul 1 21:40:17 CEST 2003

From: Sanvean

> For me, a lot of the discussion is interesting precisely because
> of the notion that men don't feel comfortable running female
> characters, when women gamers have been forced to run male
> characters over and over again.

Please bear in mind that I'm not trying to disagree with this
statement, nor am I trying to belittle the trials that females go
through in games, but you're missing the flip side of this, which is
that while a large amount of male players play for advancement, a
large amount of female players are there for social
interaction. This "includes" flirtation, MUD marriages, sexual
encounters and in-game relationships.

Take Gemstone for example, while they don't condone sexual
encounters and I believe their policy forbids it as they have a
"family" market, the revolving door on Silverwood (an inn with
private rooms) is full of concentual couples frequenting for a
romp. I know for a fact that many of the female players are indeed
female in real life, and that privately MANY of them compare notes
on what men they've managed to seduce or "hook". I've heard more
than one person comment on GS that it was a "meat market" with the
females doing most of the "hunting".

So while what you say is true, it's not nearly as one sided as that,
there are many females who want the very things you're claiming as a
blanket plague to woman-kind. They enjoy the attention, affection
and are empowered by their interactions with the opposite sex. It
just isn't always a "bad" thing. Depending on the game, this might
not be the case, but in heavy role playing games, this interaction
is very much a positive aspect.

T.M.