[MUD-Dev] Material state transformations

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 09:57:31 CEST 2003

On Thursday 03 July 2003 00:28, Nicolai Hansen wrote:
> From: "Yuri Bazhukov" <ybazhukov at ktl.ru>

>> Exactly this I would to know.  Do you have ideas which data
>> should be stored in array?  I can think only about density, which
>> can determine, can object sink or surface, and, with big
>> different of densities, one object could broke another object.
>> Also color of different state, which people can see when look at
>> object.  Anybody know other "visual" characteristics?

> There is a lot ;)

>   - You can smell a material in gaseous state (yes, liquids and
>   solids also smell, see below).

>   - A gas will always be see-through. Most liquids are, too,
>   solids are (almost) never.

Not all gasses are see-through -- e.g., chlorine gas, in high
concentrations, is a greenish cloud.

>   - A liquid state can dissolve other materials in a much greater
>   extend than a solid state, while a gaseous state can not
>   dissolve any materials at all. Gaseous state materials can BE
>   dissolved by liquids and solids.

Gasses can dissolve in other gasses.  Also, it should be noted that
gasses can corrode things.

>   - Two gasous state materials, though, are completely mixable.  >
>   - A solid state material can contain other materials (as keeping
>   them inside). Liquid or gaseous state materials can't.

Depending on what you mean by "keeping them inside", they may be
able to.  E.g., a fog is a case of gas (air) containing a liquid
(water droplets).

>   - A gaseous state material can flow freely within its container
>   (and sometimes also freely out of it, but that's a bad container
>   for the material).

>   - A liquid state material can flow freely within its container,
>   but only where gravity allows it (water can't flow upwards -
>   there's a few exceptions to this considering surface tensions
>   but lets not get into that)

Note that if there are multiple gasses inside a container, gravity
can affect them.  (E.g., the old "pouring carbon dioxide down a
slope" experiment.)

>   - A solid state material does not flow (again, exceptions,
>   though these are mostly counted as liquid state even though
>   people normally think of it as a solid: rubbers, glass)

Glass is not considered a liquid, and does not flow to any
significant extent.  That it is and does is an urban legend.  See:

  http://www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

By the ASTM standard test for determining whether a material is a
solid or a liquid, almost all rubbers would count as solids.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>