[MUD-Dev] When will new MMORPGs that are coming out get originalwith the gameplay?

Martin Bassie martin at lyrastudios.com
Wed Jul 9 01:22:06 CEST 2003

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Daniel Anderson wrote:

>> You may be true in saying the "smaller names" out there are
>> different.  Unfortunately most of those smaller names don't have
>> the budget to support the slick 3D graphics, realistic worlds, or
>> the hi-tech engine.  So, without those, it's harder for the new
>> games to get noticed.

> Realistic worlds? I look at the two biggest names out there right
> now (Everquest and Lineage) and the last thing I think is
> "realistic world".

It's rather unfair to dig up "the two biggest names" (which both had
unique market situations) for the sake of an argument which deals
with the current-day situation. You may want to think back to
1997/1998 for a moment.

Everquest, at release time, was the most "realistic" MMORPG out
there. Granted, these days now its graphics aren't up to par, and it
may not be attractive to anyone used to Half-Life 2 and Doom 3
imagery. HOWEVER, because it managed to be the first, Everquest
managed to capture most of the available audience at the time, and
set the standard for whichever game followed.

Lineage has a large following for a very simple reason. If I
remember this correctly, it really was the first "real" MMORPGs in
its own demographic (and non-English, non-American)
segment. Granted, it's only got isometric graphics, and yeah, it
doesn't go far in the "realism" department - for us. Like Everquest,
it had the advantage of being the one to set the standard, and
capture most of the available audience.

-M