[MUD-Dev] When will new MMORPGs that are coming out get original with the gameplay?

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Jul 10 11:03:34 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 09:14 PM, Brian 'Psychochild' Green
wrote:

> This is the biggest problem facing independent developers these
> days. Art is expensive.  Players will turn their nose up at
> anything that doesn't look pretty enough, even if you have
> original gameplay.

If all art has to come from the game developer, I agree.  This is
not necessarily the only way, though.  In the FPS world, a lot of
really good art has been produced by the player community--many Q3A
and UT levels & skins are as good or better than the stuff that came
with the game from the developer.  Linden Labs is encouraging this
sort of thing with Second Life, which goes a step further and
provides in-game modeling tools (though you still need something
like Photoshop if you want to create your own textures).

Now, granted, there's a lot of bad art out there too--some people
like playing Q3A in a Donald Duck suit, and games like Second Life
and There tend to develop billboard problems and other sorts of "art
griefing."  However, just as open source software development
distributes the code cost, "open art" can distribute the art cost.
Even in tightly themed games, fan art can be very, very good
sometimes.

IMNSHO, the "cinematic blockbuster" approach taken by AC2, SWG, EQ2,
etc. is great for themed games using licensed properties.  However,
it's not the only viable approach.  Can't afford an art department?
Let your customers help.

Amanda Walker