[MUD-Dev] A system for lives, death, old age, PK and perma death

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 12:24:49 CEST 2003

Eamonn O'Brien wrote:

> The main issue I see now though, is how to deal with large
> alliances of players, clans etc. If you get a large enough group
> of players they will be able to defray the life loss accross the
> lot of them, if a clan member can convince his clan to take out
> another player, then they will easily be able to get lots of
> different people to kill him, only costing each one a single
> life. Again the only way I can see to reduce this is to tie your
> actions back to those of your clan, the proportional scale
> suggested is good for that I think, suppose you added 1% of each
> loss for a clan member a modifier for the clan.

> suppose you add 1% of this to a clans death cost modifier, so if a
> clan member PvPs someone the clan gets a modifier of 0.01, if a
> member PVE kills someone they get a 0.0025 modifier, then whenever
> a player kills someone they get the modifier + the modifier times
> the clan modifier.  If the clan modifier is 0.2 for example and
> you PvE someone, you instead lose 0.25 + 0.25 * 0.2 = 0.30 from
> your points. and the clan gets another 0.0025 added to its
> modifier. If it is very hard for a clan to clean slate this then
> it will eventually make life tough for members of PK clans, which
> fits in with roleplay well enough, after all members of an
> assassins guild are unlikely to be given as much mercy as the
> newbie helpers alliance do.

It would seem to be rather trivial for a "clan" to avoid being seen
as such by the game engine.  If the members don't volunteer this
information by conveniently notifying the game of their clan status,
how will the game engine know?

Also, although it is possible for a player-character to suffer a PvE
death, I don't think, by definition, they can ever PvE another
player. Are you suggesting that players should lose a fraction of
their lives every time they kill a mob?

--Phin